Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Blessed are the Flexible for they will not be easily broken

I started doing yoga which has been physically making me more flexible while I can mentally prepare for more flexibility. That's the number one character trait we encourage new arrivals in Namibia (or any African nation). If things don't go as planned, just don't worry, it will all work out. My bags arrived somewhere in Arandis a few mornings after me! I spent the weekend setting up a school schedule for myself after consulting the performing principal while ours is away. After a couple days trying to work it out and getting used to the kids I'll be teaching, I was given a new schedule and a couple different classes. It's good for me to remember who I am here to help, and it's CERTAINLY not about me!

We've been so blessed to have many extra hands at school and in community as there was a team from the USA this past week and a half doing anything from painting, plumbing, building, teaching and loving the children. Not only have they helped the community, but I've personally been blessed by many of them. Not only have the two teachers shared a lot of great experience and educational insight, but they both have very much become my friends! They have such a passion for teaching and a love for children, they know how to interact with any child and they are amazing at it. If only they could stay longer. It was also great serving again with Fred Linda and Mike Knight, Namibia experts and Brooke, a girl who was on our team the first time I came in the summer of 2010. Great friends, I'm so thankful the Lord crossed our paths.

Jillian and Elenor are two young girls with AIM, teaching at TKCA who just moved to Arandis a month ago and will be here till the end of the year. The three of us have put our heads together on many tasks already! We seem to make a great team: we share a love for the kids and the families, diligent work ethic, reliability and a desire to please God! There have been many challenges and there will be more, however; "flexibility is next to Godliness" at least here in the USA "United States of Arandis," creatively put by my friend from the youth group who practices stand up and is really quite talented!

The weather is quite chilly now! The last several mornings we've been experiencing the East Winds which are extremely strong and difficult to move around in. These last till late morning and then it's REALLY hot till about 5:30, when the sun goes down.

I'm getting plenty of alone time and much needed time in the word. He fills me daily with living water, the bread of life and the Rock of my salvation, what more could I ever need? I'm staying with Sammy, the needy dog till Ms Nan comes back. There's another teacher in the flat attached to the house. Although I'm not someone who naturally stays alone and stays sane, that also is good for me! My confidence comes from Christ- redeemer, creator of all things and my best friend! 

I invited a few friends over for lunch last Sunday! I had to explain to many people at church where I had disappeared to, "America!"
"Why didn't you say goodbye?" 
"I'm sorry, I would have but they gave me five days to leave the country! I knew I'd be back, I just didn't know when." 
"ok! See you around."

One of my favorite fifth graders (they are all my favorite) greeted me like this the weekend I arrived: "I told them, 'bring me to Ms Anna, where is she? Is she here yet?' They brought me to you! Here you are Ms Anna. Hey, you should come to our shool on Monday! Are you going to?"
"Sure! I'll come, that's a great idea Chriszelda!" hugs, those beautiful and beaty eyes. "I feel like I'm going to break you when I hug you."
"yes! Break me, Ms Anna!" Agh, they are too much! 

I can't believe we've finished our first week and are half way through our second already. The scheule is smoothing over. I'm a resource in special Ed in the mornings for grade 1-4 and I teach English in the afternoon to 5th and 6th. I have been going home for lunch and returning do help with homework in the afternoons. It's really quite manageable. I have time to re-connect with friends in the church and get to know them more! I've been practicing my Italian hospitality (thanks mom) and grateful to have friends come and eat with me:)

There's so many more amazing things to brag about like Cabana, mopane worms, brownies, great people, thirty plus amazing hugs a day, a beautiful sunrise each morning as well as challenges to keep things interesting - but I hope to get some pictures up soon to speak more. I must get some rest now while Sammy is calm. Sin jula lader!

Anna Gdanian

No comments:

Post a Comment