Thursday, March 22, 2012

Greetings! Gacienda Nant! (have a blessed night)

Someone asked what "leker slap" means. "sleep well" or "sleep sweet" Today, for the first time since I've been here, a clerk spoke first to me in Afrikaans, not English. Even though my first affrikaans lesson has been cancelled a few times, I was so excited to use what I knew and to be understood. I proceeded to tell her that was all I knew. She was shocked when I started speaking English, she truly thought I was affrikaans!! Ek prat biggie Afrikaans. (I speak a little Afrikaans)

It was 115 in Arandis today. It's about ten and not much cooler. It's independence day! On March 21, 1991, all but one tiny island, of Namibia gained independence from S Africa. The Ganes family invited us over for a BBQ. We had a lot of meat, different salads and grilled bread. It was a true Namibian braai, they love thier meats and sweets. It was pork and variations of sausage, pasta, potato, Cole slaw and green salad. There will be a lot of sleepy children tomorrow, because there were big parties today.

Miss Josephine, a German friend whose been staying with them, is leaving tomorrow. Not only has she helped their family, but she's been a huge support at school. She helped me with grade two reading, i don't know what ill do without her, as well as assisting in all the classrooms. She organized our whole library, and tied up a lot of loose ends. She worked the after school program, she is really good at math!! We wish she could stay, but she also needs to go and finish her studies. She came on her school break, it's a great opportunity for those of you who are in that place. There is plenty of room for volunteers who love children in Arandis!

These children are loved by God! I know he who made them has thier best interest in mind, he will continue the work he has started in their lives. They are really enjoying their writing buddies, for those of you who are apart. They've been journalling about them, and it gives me a chance to have time with each one separately. Each moment I spend here with them is a priveledge, I will never forget that.

Anna Gdanian

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your Independence Day
    happenings Anna, and hope all the children
    had a wonderful day!

    I'm praying that the Lord supply another
    helper for you to replace Josephine and
    lighten the load.

    Do all the children have a writing buddy
    now?

    Love,
    Marjie O

    ReplyDelete